- Choose a publication that reflects your style and budget. Some of the very high-end magazines depict very high-end concepts, materials and furnishings. You may not be able to replicate exactly what you see on those pages, but why not take away some great inspirational ideas and make them your own.
- If your home is large and spacious, flipping through a magazine that features small space solutions will not be the right publication for you. The same applies for smaller spaces. It helps to know what framework you’re working within.
- Choose the design style you’re most drawn to, or at least one that reflects the architecture of your home, then select the magazines based on that similarity.
- Don’t judge a magazine by its cover. That image is on a front page for a reason – to catch your eye and sell the issue. What you’re interested in is also the content on the inside. Does this issue offer you insightful and helpful articles that will help you with your design projects? Are there resource lists or how-to articles to get you started? That’s what you want to look for – not only the pretty pictures.
- Which rooms or spaces are you redecorating or renovating? There are space specific design magazines out there targeting different rooms throughout the home. Obviously you’ll find more specific information on Kitchens and Baths special interest publications, than you would in a Metropolitan Home issue.
- Finally look online! There are online resources that you can easily save, link and bookmark for later.
Design Inspiration For 2010!
Whether you’re renovating, remodeling or re-decorating your home, sometimes the toughest part is actually taking that first step and coming up with a concept or idea – that suits you and the way your family lives. When you draw a blank, consult with the experts for inspiration. By that I mean the dozens of design magazines out there on the market today that can help you with your design dilemma. More often than not I’ve heard clients say, “I know what I don’t like”. So, now begins your quest to search for some kind of inspiration – something that speaks to you, and trust me you’ll start to see a pattern of what you do like emerge. Do you gravitate toward French provincial or Country Chic? Maybe you’re the type who favors modernism or an eclectic feel to your home. Whatever your tastes, there is definitely a magazine out there for you to get you headed in the right direction. But, remember a few things when choosing a magazine for inspiration.