When it comes to finding ideas for the unique touches that set a home apart, I often like to turn to the outdoors for my interior design inspiration. Trees and branches inspire intricate and elegant design elements, while flowers bring beauty and color into a space, but these are fairly common sources of design inspiration.A favorite natural element that brings a sense of tranquility and stability to a space are rocks or pebbles. Pebbles are often associated with babbling brooks, lakeside beaches and spa retreats, so if you bring pebble-inspired design elements into your home you can emulate some of this serenity. Here are some great ideas for incorporating pebbles in your home:
- Pebble Border – To provide a sense of calmness in your bathroom space, using a pebble accent for your walls is a great way to go. A simple pebble border that runs around the entire bathroom area is enough to provide a unique natural texture that complements your design.
- Pebble Backsplash – You can also give pebbles a more prominent role in your bathroom design by using them in your backsplash. The thing I love about pebbles is that they come in a number of different colors and tones from light, medium or dark designs.
- Pebble Walls – Don’t be afraid to go all out- an entire wall of pebble tile is a great way to create a focal point in the bathroom. Here I incorporated stacked pebbles on all four walls of this poolside powder room.Choose other natural elements such as wood and stone to compliment it.
- Pebble Floors – You can add a pebble border to your floor to add texture, or you can even create a pit of actual pebbles in which to place your freestanding bathtub for an added element of luxury. We incorporated this pebble floor below, in this master bathroom renovation. My physician client loved the idea of the uneven natural floor underfoot as it tends to massage the feet at various pressure points.
- Pebble Accessories – A clear bowl full of pebbles is an easy way to add a touch of natural beauty to any room. You can also add a few pebble shaped candles to your design for a fun and unusual accent.
These are just a few ways that you can use pebbles as interior design inspiration. For more architectural interior design advice, visit me at Interior Makeovers.
Photo 1: Pinterest
Photo 2: Lori Gilder/Interior Makeovers
Photo 3: Apartment Therapy
Photo 4: Lori Gilder/Interior Makeovers
Photo 5: Pinterest