I think it’s safe to say that life can be quite stressful these days. Between work, children, finances, carpools and all your other daily activities, it only makes sense that your home should be a place of refuge and provide you with a great sense of calm the moment you walk through the door.
We yearn for order and serenity at the end of each day – a place that neutralizes the daily chaos of life and allows you to unplug from the external stresses of the day.
- Does your home provide you with that haven?
- Is it peaceful and relaxing?
- Is it systematized and well organized?
- Is your home well appointed and aesthetically pleasing? Or do you still feel some stress– even when you’re trying to relax?
Living in a cluttered and disorganized environment tends to create stress, anxiety and drains your energy without even realizing it. That is why providing well-designed storage is fundamental. Analyze, prioritize and maximize your home by eliminating the clutter – and provide some special places to conceal, organize and display the items you really
want and need.
Here are 10 simple storage solutions to help eliminate the clutter and get you to a peaceful place.
- Utilize the void space beneath your stairs and design a storage closet, built in shelving unit or even add a sleek powder room.
- Maximize every inch of your kitchen with organized cabinet interiors. From pull out spice racks to built in pantries. Everything should have its place.
- Provide a pantry system complete with shelving, door racks and pullout drawers all concealed behind the integrated kitchen cabinetry.
- Design a beautiful and highly functional banquette with large spacious drawers. It’s perfect for cozy meals and storing all kinds of supplies.
- Add recessed shelving anywhere there is ample wall space to do so. Always keep your home’s architecture in mind when designing those living room niches, bathroom shelving or floor to ceiling bookshelves in the family room.
- Built-in storage is perfect for every room of your home and allows you to display all your favorite collections, and conceal the everyday mess.
- Bedroom or living room window seats with storage drawers below will provide you with ample space and create a cozy and inviting reading corner.
- In your home office/library wrap the entire room (even around the windows and doors) with custom cabinetry to store books, binders and your favorite objects d’art. Remember you only need 12” deep shelving.
- In the master bedroom build in a wall-to-wall headboard complete with lighting, shelving and night tables for that integral look.
- Schedule a closet company to inventory of all your clothes, shoes, belts and handbags and to layout each and every bedroom closet throughout your home. It will be the most liberating exercise of your life and you’ll maximize every inch of space at the same time.
Implement some of these de-cluttering principles and you’ll be coming to home to a peaceful refuge.
I encourage you leave questions or comments below this post, and fill out the form on the right hand side of this page to receive your free copy of my special report: “15 Money Saving Strategies When Planning Your Home Renovation”
Article by Lori Gilder, Architectural Interior Designer, Los Angeles, Ca. © 2010 Lori Gilder. Interior Makeovers Inc.