The Top 5 Home Renovations to Tackle This Year
This year the more popular home renovations tend to be smaller in scale – where function trumps flash.
According to Remodeling Magazine’s 2010 cost vs. value report, the smaller tweaks and midrange interior and exterior projects are yielding the biggest bang for the buck. In other words the more moderate home improvement projects prove to be the most cost effective.
So if you’re thinking of selling your home now or in the near future, consider these top 5 home remodeling projects to help turn your current house into someone else’s home.
1. CURB APPEAL
First impressions are everything and you don’t have to be a real estate agent to know that. If your house is unappealing from the outside those potential buyers may never make it through the front door. A great first impression could add a good 10% to the value of your home.
- Define a clear pathway.
- Upgrade your front door.
- Update old windows with energy efficient products.
- Replace your siding, as it tends to be the least costly upgrade.
- Add a porch or deck. (any extension to the outdoors)
- Add Architectural Details such as trims, shutters and moldings.
- Add a new fence, trellis or gate.
- Roofing – replace or repair shingles if damaged.
- Exterior Lighting.
- Fresh Paint.
2. MINOR or MAJOR KITCHEN REMODEL
Just to give you an idea how important kitchens are to a home’s value – Here in the US we spend almost $200 billion a year on home renovation projects and $15 billion of that are spent on kitchen renovations. If your kitchen’s layout works perfectly well, just making some simple updates will appeal to the perfect buyer.
Either way when you go to sell your house – keep in mind that you’re essentially selling your kitchen and the emotions attached!
- Upgrade the appliances to stainless, as it has become the new standard finish in kitchen appliances.
- Countertops and Sinks. Consider Quartz surfaces, which are available in a multitude of colors, and finishes for its wonderful properties. They are highly durable, non porous and easily maintained.
- Kitchen sinks are available in all shapes and sizes to compliment and fit within your kitchen – from under mount, top mount and integral seamless sinks.
- Cabinets and Hardware: repaint, re-stain or reface all door and drawer fronts if the layout still works – otherwise plan for new and improved cabinetry.
- Replace and update old flooring with vinyl, ceramic, hardwood, concrete or stone.
- If your master bath has one sink only and you have a 6’long space, add two new under mount sinks.
- New countertops and cabinetry really set the stage for the space and are critical elements in creating a beautiful spa like environment. Consider certain marbles, soapstone, bluestone or limestone to create a sense of luxury.
- Furniture-like cabinetry in deep warm woods evokes richness.
- Flooring such as ceramic, stone, concrete and woods.
- Frameless glass shower enclosures undoubtedly add to a spa-like atmosphere.
4. CONVERTING UNFINISHED ATTICS INTO BEDROOMS
- Increasing the amount of livable space is still very important to homeowners and potential buyers – and repurposing existing space is the most cost effective way to achieve that. It’s much more cost effective than adding on, as well as being the green thing to do.
- If you have the attic space you could develop a 15’ x15’ bedroom c/w a 5×7 bath and shower. Or utilize that finished attic space as a home office/guest suite. Allocate this new square footage to appeal to you as well as the buyer.
5. DEVELOPING BASEMENTS INTO AN ADDED LIVING SPACE.
- Developing the basement into a finished and livable entertainment space.
- Create an added bedroom and bath, office, laundry or game room.
- Provide ample built-in storage, playroom and finished bedroom.
I encourage you leave questions or comments below this post, and fill out the form on the right hand side of this page to receive your free copy of my special report: “15 Money Saving Strategies When Planning Your Home Renovation”
Article by Lori Gilder, Architectural Interior Designer, Los Angeles, Ca. © 2010 Lori Gilder. Interior Makeovers Inc.