How To Find The Right Designer For Your Project
Now that you know you need to hire a design professional for your home renovation project, there are a few things to consider and a lot of questions to ask yourself. You want to make sure you do your homework and select the right person for your job.
But where do you look?
- Word-of-Mouth. Get references from people you know and trust. Family and friends who have been through the renovation or building process will be more than happy to share their experiences.
- Professional Associations. Check the professional association websites like the AIA www.aia.org. (American Institute of Architects) and ASID www.asid.org (American Society of Interior Designers). These websites will have links and portfolios of their members design work.
- Contractor References. If you have an existing relationship with a contractor, one you’ve perhaps worked with before, they may have some designers to recommend. The benefit here is that they more than likely have worked with design professionals before and know how they operate.
- Websites. These days most residential design professionals have websites that showcase their talents, share their design philosophies and provide great client testimonials. Look through their portfolio and see if their design style compliments yours.
- Drive The Neighborhood. Take a drive around your neighborhood on a Sunday afternoon and meander into open houses to see what others have done to their homes. Notice the exteriors and if there are houses you’re attracted to, ask the homeowner who worked on their home.
I encourage you leave questions or comments below this post, and fill out the form on the right hand side of this page to receive your free copy of my special report: “How to Avoid the 15 Most Common Decorating Mistakes”
Article by Lori Gilder, Architectural Interior Designer, Los Angeles, Ca.
© 2010 Lori Gilder. Interior Makeovers Inc