Developing Your Home Renovation Wish List
Brown Residence, Week 3
By analyzing and assessing the way they really live, Liz Brown provided me with a thorough list of what they envisioned for their home and family, and primarily the direction in which this renovation project was headed.
To get a sense of the scope of the Brown’s project, let me share just some of Liz’s wish list with you:Downstairs Bedrooms & Bathrooms:
- Add one additional bedroom and connecting bathroom downstairs.
- Add one or two additional baths to the existing children’s bedrooms.
- Remove the current children’s bathroom due to bad location.
- Add good size linen closet.
- Expand current kitchen dramatically and raise ceilings throughout.
- Dining for 6-8 in kitchen.
- Like big island with bar stools.
- Include large picture windows.
- Lots of cabinetry.
- Need door to close off kitchen.
- Design separate laundry room.
- Can reconfigure current office, maids, and bath for better entry from garage.
- Add butler’s pantry if possible.
- Appliances: 8 burner range, warming drawer, XL microwave, separate sub zero refrigerator and freezer, and wine refrigerator.
- Problem areas: bad entry/foyer, walk through dining room to get to family room. (poor traffic flow).
- Bad location of powder room, and low ceilings.
- If ceilings are raised, big custom windows to bring the outside elements inside.
- Like side lights on either side of front entry door.
- Add one master bedroom suite upstairs.
- One bedroom – with or without balcony.
- Window seat if possible.
- One room for office or treadmill with windows.
- One bath with two toilets, one bidet, 2 sinks, shower, tub and make-up vanity area (if possible)
- Two separate walk – in closets
I think you get the idea – Liz’s detailed wish list provided me with a strong vision as to where to begin and the direction this renovation project was headed. From that point forward, it became my job to turn Liz and Mark’s vision into a reality.
I encourage you leave questions or comments below this post, and fill out the form on the right hand side of this page to receive your free copy of my special report: “How to Avoid the 15 Most Common Decorating Mistakes”
Article by Lori Gilder, Architectural Interior Designer, Los Angeles, Ca.
© 2009 Lori Gilder. Interior Makeovers Inc