Design Your Home With a Touch of Glass
As an Architectural Interior Designer keeping abreast of the new trends, materials and products entering the marketplace, keeps me inspired on a daily basis. One of my favorite materials to incorporate into my designs is glass. The reflective features of glass will expand your space, refract light, and blurs the line between your home and its natural environment.
On large renovation projects, I love to expand the existing space by adding window-walled rooms. Glass doors (French, retractable or pockets), floor to ceiling windows and skylights integrate the interior with the exterior, flood these spaces with natural light and heal the senses. It immediately transforms a space and changes your relationship with the natural world.
If you’re in the midst of redesigning your kitchen or bath, rather than specifying the usual “builder special” granite or stone countertops, why not combine function with beauty and design a unique and stunning glass countertop. Like any other material, you can customize the piece to suit your needs by selecting the texture, color and finish and edging to provide you with a one of a kind art piece.
- As durable as common natural stone.
- Non-porous and impermeable, which makes it the most hygienic countertop material available for kitchens.
- Are naturally heat resistant and can withstand high heat without cracking or scorching the material.
- Stain proof.
- When textured on the underside will camouflage fingerprints and any fine scratches.
- Very simple to maintain and keep clean.
- Can be lit at the edges to create a floating sensation and are spectacular in powder rooms.
If a glass countertop isn’t for you, consider introducing a glass backsplash in your kitchen or bath – available in tiles, sheets or custom panels. And to complete your project install hand-blown art glass door knobs and pulls for that extra touch of glass. Set your home apart from the rest.
I encourage you leave questions or comments below this post, and fill out the form on the right hand side of this page to receive your free copy of my special report: “15 Money Saving Strategies When Planning Your Home Renovation”
Article by Lori Gilder, Architectural Interior Designer, Los Angeles, Ca. © 2010 Lori Gilder. Interior Makeovers Inc.