1. ANALYZE THE SPACE
- Walk through your home and look at each room in the context of the overall property.
- Is your kitchen very dark and compartmentalized with an inefficient floor plan and layout?
- Are the cabinets just worn out and refused to stay closed?
- Do your appliances only work when they want to?
OR – on the flip side:
2. IDENTIFY THE NEGATIVES – AND FIX THEM!
- If you’ve maintained your home beautifully over the years and renovated your kitchen recently – added a new patio and landscaping – and updated the overall décor – but you’re still living with that green and pink guest bathroom down the hall, now would be the time to remodel it! It will look extremely dated and tired compared to the upgrades you’ve already made. So by refreshing it now will present a more cohesive piece of property to show later.
3. ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVES – AND ENHANCE THEM
- Before you invest any time and money into any home renovation projects it’s so important to first evaluate the structural elements of your home.
- Do a walk through, and be really honest with what you find. What weaknesses did you discover? If YOU can see the problems – so will the potential buyers!
- Be on the lookout for anything and everything from cracks in the foundation / rotting, bulging or splitting around doors and windows,
- Is the electrical wiring antiquated?
- Do you have a termite problem? These issues can’t be hidden or camouflaged.
- So be proactive and hire a home inspector before you sell. They will help you uncover problems and looming issues that you may have over looked.
- A typical home inspection analyzes the home’s structural integrity, all major mechanical systems and provides you with a thorough assessment of your home’s structure and property.
- Use this information to repair the necessary areas of the home and give it the TLC it deserves.
- Set goals and decide what you NEED to do and the compromises you’ll willing to make to turn your home into someone else’s dream home.
- Highlight your home’s Best features: Every home should have some. If they don’t then create some!
- Is it a canyon view from the hillside?
- The ocean view from the kitchen?
- The spectacular double-sided fireplace or the fabulous gourmet kitchen you’ve loved for years. Or the deck and outdoor kitchen off the family room?
- Whatever the asset – dress it, enhance it, show it – AND CREATE THAT WOW FACTOR!
I encourage you leave questions or comments below this post, and fill out the form on the right hand side of this page to receive your free copy of my special report: “15 Money Saving Strategies When Planning Your Home Renovation”
Article by Lori Gilder, Architectural Interior Designer, Los Angeles, Ca. © 2010 Lori Gilder. Interior Makeovers Inc.